Baking soda is a leavening agent, commonly used in baking. Baking soda is 100% sodium bicarbonate. Often recipes that call for baking soda will also call for some sort of acid, which will help to get rid of the slight bitter taste that can sometimes come as a result of using baking soda.
Baking soda can be used for more than just baking! Some other fun reasons to use baking soda include the following:
- Making your own toothpaste. Or simply just dipping your toothbrush into baking soda and brushing your teeth with it to get rid of any stains, or simply to freshen up those pearly whites!
- Used as a natural alternative to deodorant
- Treating insect bites and itchy skin
- Soothing your feet. Simply dissolve 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a tub of warm water and then soak your feet in it.
- Cleaning floors, furniture, the oven-- you name it!
- Fruit and vegetable scrub. Baking soda is a food safe way to clean any dirt and residue off of fresh fruits and veggies.